Sunday 24 November 2013

Roman blinds and why we went custom

I was determined to make my own Roman blinds. We needed window coverings for our kitchen and bathroom windows and I thought Roman blinds would work well. Given that the windows are odd sizes they had to be made-to-measure. I watched several online tutorials on Roman blind making and the process looked pretty straight forward. I made a plan of what I needed to buy and checked out fabric options.

That was a year ago. Since then, the window covering in our bathroom has consisted of this ...



Living with craft paper on our window for months made me realize that despite my best intentions,the DIY Roman blinds were not going to happen..... so we had to look for alternatives. 

During my online drapery research I came across Tonic Living. It's a Toronto based business that specializes in curtains and blinds. We visited their retail location, checked out their blinds and picked up a few fabric samples.

Fabric samples from Tonic Living


Tonic Living has a great selection of fabrics but what we liked most is that on their web site you can read about the fabrics and what they are treated with. We were careful selecting fabrics that are not treated  with any stain or wrinkle resistant finishes and don't contain fire retardants, phthalate, lead and formaldehyde. We were excited to be able to access information on the treatment of the fabrics as most draperies are heavily treated with toxic chemicals with little or no information provided to customers.

We put our order in and our custom blinds will be ready in a few weeks. I can't wait to have blinds on our windows....no more craft paper.


Stay tuned for the reveal of the winning fabric and installation tips.

Mia

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this great read. I am happy with this article. You can find out the best window blinds online for your house in nominal amount.

    ReplyDelete